Monday, March 5, 2012

Fluffy White Cake with Balsamic Strawberry Buttercream (happy birthday to me)!


Yesterday was my 29th birthday. You don't turn 29 every day, right? Oddly, this was the only birthday that I've actually felt a bit sad about. 28 was no problem, but 29?! There's just something about starting your 30th year. I knew I had to make a special birthday cake.

After scouring the web and my Pinterest baking idea board, I decided that I absolutely had to make this Balsamic Strawberry Butter Cake from one of my favorite baking blogs- Raspberri Cupcakes.

This cake actually combines two recipes from two really great sources. The Balsamic Strawberry Buttercream comes from Raspberri Cupcakes, but the Fluffy Vanilla Cake is the favorite white cake of Sweetapolita. Check out these sites for the full recipes of this AMAZING cake.

I was so excited, that I technically took two days to make this. On Friday night I had to make my own cake flour. Usually I just substitute all-purpose in recipes that call for cake flour, but this time I just had to get it right. Turns out, making cake flour is so easy! You sift together all-purpose flour and cornstarch- for each cup of flour needed, substitute two tablespoons of the all-purpose for cornstarch. Easy peasy.

Saturday night was the main event. The first step in the cake recipe involves combining egg whites, milk and vanilla. I feel bad about kicking out the poor little egg yolks, but once again, this had to be perfect. Egg white mixture then gets set aside.


Next, you combine the dry ingredients in a big bowl before adding the rest of the milk and butter and mixing for a few minutes. When it's fairly well combined, you add the egg white mixture into the batter in three additions, mixing briefly between each one. When you're finished, you end up with the most beautiful, creamy, delicious vanilla cake batter you've ever encountered. I am seriously ashamed to say that I was actually eating this batter with a spoon.


This is far from a professional cake making operation. I do not have 8 inch round baking tins, or anything close to that. So, I make due with this much larger tart tin. Sigh. I fear I made a mistake by sticking to the double layer cake. With a pan this large, I should have just put all of the batter in. Alas, I didn't.


Being much thinner layers, my cakes baked much quicker than the time listed on the recipe. I also had to turn my oven down a bit after the first layer came out a little bit too golden. Here's the 2nd layer, on my makeshift cooling rack. As you can see from the side shot, it's pretty thin.



Next up, the buttercream! I was practically jumping up and down at this point. So excited to try to make (and devour) this frosting. First- puree the strawberries. This was so fun and quick thanks to my awesome blender. Next, create the buttercream base by mixing the butter, powdered sugar and vanilla. I failed to get any photos of that step, but here I am adding the strawberry puree to the already fluffy buttercream!


Add the balsamic and mix until fluffy. I did have to add some extra powdered sugar to get the right consistency (smooth and spreadable, but not runny). The verdict: HOLY COW THIS IS THE MOST AMAZING FROSTING I'VE EVER HAD! Sorry for the caps lock, but it had to be done. This stuff is serious. Seriously incredibly delicious. Hopefully you've got the picture and are going to commence making your own right now.


Strawberries, fluffy vanilla cake and the delicious frosting. All ready for assembly. This frosting was so easy to spread and it didn't stick at all to the cake- must be the vinegar? I did a crumb coat (thin 1st layer to keep the crumbs in), but it was completely unnecessary. 


First layer was frosted in no time flat. 


If I were a professional baker, I would have certainly sliced off a thin layer of both cakes to make them flat. As you can see, I didn't do this and the layers didn't quite fit together. I solved this problem by filling the gap around the edges with more buttercream. hehe.


Mohamed's contribution: flattening the bumps I left in the frosting. So helpful ;-)



Ta da!!!! This is probably the prettiest cake I've ever made. I was proud. Too bad this was the night before my birthday so I didn't get to eat it yet. booooooo.


I didn't have to wait too long though as we ate it for breakfast the next morning! Nothing says Happy Birthday like the most amazing cake you've ever had for breakfast. I added a few halved strawberries as an extra touch before the feast.





The verdict: This cake absolutely lived up to the hype. Every single bite is like a mini strawberry shortcake explosion in your mouth. The cake is perfect (light, fluffy, flavorful) and the buttercream is to die for. I will definitely be keeping these recipes around. In fact, I think I'm going to have another piece right now!

If I want to make something more delicious for next year's birthday, I better start planning now!

3 comments:

Bitter Optimist said...

This is inspirational! Me wants!

Gloria said...

Happy 29th Birthday Teresa! I wish so much I was eating that cake. Those are some of my favorite flavors (and it is beautiful). Will be seeing you in person very soon. :)

t3reese said...

Thanks ladies! I encourage both of you to try this ASAP :-)