This weekend brought my replacement for a visit. Yes, I will be replaced and hopefully all of my time, energy and work was not for naught. Her arrival stirred up all kinds of thoughts and emotions. exactly 2 years ago i too came on my site visit. I was shown around by my predecessor and was generally very excited and overwhelmed to finally see the place where i would live for 2 whole years.
It seems like just yesterday and at the same time so long ago. This time it was my turn to do the showing. I'm sad at the thought of leaving all of my friends and work with someone new, and yet so proud of what i've been able to accomplish and to be able to leave her with so much. On my visit i was able to see and carry-on one activity, and my replacement was able to take part in four. Girls soccer, english classes, youth and women's clubs, and the preschool class at the women's center. She met all of the people she will need to continue these activities and is really excited to begin.
She even plays soccer! The transition from me to her will be a smooth one and i'm really thankful for that. this town just may see sustainability yet!
The past two years have been full of ups and downs. depression, loneliness, diarrhea....i've been there. but i can't think of anything more fufilling i could have done with my time. the ups have far outweighed the downs and it's been an incredible learning experience.
I'm thankful for every day, every friend, every cup of mint tea. i'm thankful for the support i've constantly received from everyone at home and for my fellow volunteers who are now lifelong friends. I'm thankful for the laughter, the dancing, even the tears. i'm thankful that i've made it.
As for the future, well it is certainly coming at me at full speed. I've begun the job search and am feeling quite optimistic, but that doesn't make the process any easier. and every moment i spend thinking about the next step, i can't help but feel like i wasting the little time i have left here.
17 days to say goodbye.
hanging out in the Youth Center
last spring i helped the preschool teaches write a letter requesting toys from an association up north. they came!
7 comments:
I'm bursting with pride!! You're amazing!! Although, I can't wait to get you back; enjoy the little bit of time you have left!
David
WOW I CANT BELEIVE YOU ONLY HAVE 17 DAYS LEFT!!! YAHOO!!! I BET YOU ARE REALLY EXCITED TO COME BACK TO THE STATES!!!! WELL I HOPE YOU HAD A GOOD TIME, AND I CANT WAIT TILL I GET TO SEE YOU!!!!!!! DAVE AND MATT BOTH SAID HI!!!!!! WE MISS YOU!!!!
LOVE EMMILY
Hey Teresa,
I can't believe you're almost back in the States! Enjoy your time, I can't wait to see you!
Coty
As I have said before, we are so proud of what you have done, and accomplished. Hats off to you, Teresa. Enjoy the Days you have left and we all can't wait to see you just before Christmas.
Love, Dad n Gang
Cantwaittoseeyouandg/iveyouabighug-- itseems like itsbeen years you can probably tell i havent touched a tttypewriter in many years look forward to seeing you love ilove you a lot have a safe trip Grandma
Hi Teresa, I know i've been missing from your blog for some time now but that doesn't change how proud and amazed I am of all that you've done in Morocco. I can't wait to have you back in the states and Austin is only 8 or 9 hours from where I live, which isn't too bad. Hope you have a safe flight back :)
Thien
Good for people to know.
Post a Comment